While setting up a test box I came across this issue. The shutdown process hangs and waits.
These steps worked for me http://askubuntu.com/a/123287
Edit the grub config
sudo nano /etc/default/grub
Add acpi=force to this line
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi=force"
Save and update the grub config.
AppCleaner is one of those apps you never delete. It helps you clean up other apps. Its pretty good at what it does. It usually goes in and finds the app’s downloaded installer as well as residual property files.
The only thing I’ve noticed is that if you select more than 1 app to delete it’ll get a bit confused and select a few unrelated items as well.
So my tip is to delete an app at a time.
Side note: Why delete Google Drive? Well it and another bunch of non essential apps were eating up my memory and boot up time. So I dumped them all and optimized things a bit.
When I was compiling my last post I wanted to embed a tweet in my blog post. I found a nice plugin for that called Twitter Embed.
Getting a Tweet’s permanent link wasn’t that straightforward, so I made a small video to show how. Also notice I’m picking the short code instead of the link, that’s what Twitter Embed needs.
I had a few months worth of photos on my phone that needed to be imported and sorted.
All I wanted to do was move the photos into monthly folders. So I found exiftool that had some options that did what I wanted.
If you have Homebrew on mac you can install it like this.
brew install exiftool
Here is the command I used to move my photos.
exiftool -d %m "-directory<datetimeoriginal" *.jpg
exiftool -d %m "-directory<datetimeoriginal" *.JPG
If you wanted to move them into year/month folders, it would go something like this
exiftool -d %Y/%m "-directory<datetimeoriginal" *.jpg
exiftool -d %Y/%m "-directory<datetimeoriginal" *.JPG
Have a look at the docs and organize away.
You can’t run Silex apps directly on Dreamhost yet. After a bit of digging around I came up with this.
You need to create a file ~/.php/5.3/phprc in your home directory, not under the website directory and put these lines in there.
detect_unicode = Off
phar.readonly = Off
phar.require_hash = Off
suhosin.executor.include.whitelist = phar
Its not immediate, but in about 15 mins it should work.
Vote up my answer if it works for you.